Western Railway’s Crackdown Clears Nearly 18% of Illegal Huts Near Bandra Station
- Nishadil
- May 20, 2026
- 0 Comments
- 3 minutes read
- 1 Views
- Save
- Follow Topic
Anti‑encroachment drive by Western Railway wipes out almost a fifth of unauthorised shanties around Bandra railway hub
In a sweeping anti‑encroachment operation, Western Railway demolished roughly 18% of illegal huts surrounding Mumbai’s Bandra station, citing safety, commuter convenience and urban order.
On a humid Tuesday morning, Western Railway crews rolled up their sleeves and began what officials are calling an “anti‑encroachment drive” around Bandra railway station. The aim? To clear the maze of makeshift huts that have, over the years, sprouted like weeds along the station’s periphery, choking footpaths and posing safety risks for the throngs of daily commuters.
According to the railway’s Public Relations Office, the operation targeted about 750 structures that were erected without any permission. By the end of the day, nearly 18 % of those—roughly 135 huts—had been torn down. While the percentage might sound modest, the visible impact was immediate: a wider, unobstructed walkway, clearer sight‑lines for drivers, and a breath of fresh air for pedestrians who usually have to dodge ladders and tarpaulins.
“We’ve been receiving complaints for months,” said Ramesh Gupta, the senior manager overseeing the drive. “People were slipping, vendors were blocking entry‑exit points, and the whole area looked chaotic. This isn’t just about aesthetics; it’s about safety and smooth movement for everyone.”
Many of the dismantled huts were occupied by street vendors who sell everything from roasted peanuts to fresh flower garlands. The railway officials assured them that they would be relocated to a designated vending zone a few blocks away, complete with proper shelters and basic amenities. “We’re not against the vendors,” Gupta added, “but we need a systematic setup that doesn’t jeopardise commuter flow.”
Local residents, too, welcomed the move, though some expressed concern over the loss of livelihood for the sellers. “It’s a relief to finally see the path cleared,” said Meena Shah, a senior citizen who walks to the station every day. “But I hope the authorities really help those families who depend on those stalls.”
The drive, part of a broader city‑wide initiative launched by the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA), will continue over the next few weeks. Officials say they plan to clear at least 50 % of all illegal structures around major stations by year‑end, aiming for a more organized, commuter‑friendly urban landscape.
Police were on standby throughout the operation, and a handful of individuals were detained for resisting demolition. All were later released after paying a fine, as per the local municipal guidelines.
In the meantime, commuters can now enjoy a smoother, safer journey through Bandra, at least for the short stretch cleared today. The railway has promised to monitor the area closely to prevent any rapid re‑erection of the huts that were just taken down.
Editorial note: Nishadil may use AI assistance for news drafting and formatting. Readers can report issues from this page, and material corrections are reviewed under our editorial standards.