NTA Panelist Manisha Mandhare Arrested Over NEET‑UG Paper Leak, Put in 14‑Day Custody
- Nishadil
- May 18, 2026
- 0 Comments
- 2 minutes read
- 6 Views
- Save
- Follow Topic
Manisha Mandhare, a member of the NTA panel, is now in police custody after being named in the recent NEET‑UG question‑paper leak case.
Authorities have placed NTA panelist Manisha Mandhare in a 14‑day custody after linking her to the NEET‑UG paper leak, reigniting concerns over exam security.
When the NEET‑UG paper leak made headlines last week, nobody expected the story to wind up in a courtroom drama, let alone see a senior NTA official behind bars. Yet, that is exactly where Manisha Mandhare finds herself now—booked, interrogated, and ordered to remain in custody for the next fourteen days.
According to the police, the investigation team uncovered a trail of electronic messages that allegedly tied Mandhare to the unauthorized distribution of the question paper. The authorities say they seized a laptop and several mobile devices, which, after forensic analysis, pointed to her involvement. The charge sheet, filed on Tuesday, lists her as a primary conspirator, a claim she has neither confirmed nor denied.
“We are treating this matter with utmost seriousness,” a senior police spokesperson told reporters. “If the evidence holds, the punishment will be commensurate with the gravity of compromising a national-level entrance exam.” The spokesperson also reminded the public that the custodial period can be extended if the investigation demands it.
For many students and educators, the news feels like a bitter pill. “It’s disheartening, you know?” said Dr. Ananya Sharma, a professor of medical education in Delhi. “We put our hopes into NEET every year, and now there’s this shadow of doubt hanging over the whole system.” Some parents have taken to social media, demanding stricter safeguards and more transparency from the National Testing Agency.
The NEET‑UG exam, as you might recall, is the gateway for aspiring doctors across India. Over 14 million candidates sit for it each year, and any hint of malpractice can shake confidence not only in the exam itself but in the broader educational infrastructure.
Legal experts note that the case could set a precedent. “If a high‑ranking NTA official is found guilty, it may force a complete overhaul of how question papers are handled and who gets access to them,” said attorney Rohit Mehta. Meanwhile, the NTA has issued a brief statement, saying it is cooperating fully with the investigation and that the agency remains committed to upholding the integrity of its examinations.
What happens next? The court will review the evidence during a hearing scheduled for later this week. If the judge finds sufficient cause, the custody could be extended beyond the initial fourteen days, and a trial could follow. Until then, the educational community watches anxiously, hoping for clarity and, ultimately, justice.
Editorial note: Nishadil may use AI assistance for news drafting and formatting. Readers can report issues from this page, and material corrections are reviewed under our editorial standards.