Washington | 11°C (scattered clouds)
Indonesia Says Letter on US Airspace Use Is Not a Binding Commitment

Defence Minister Prabowo Subianto stresses the recent letter with Washington does not lock Jakarta into granting US aircraft access to Indonesian airspace

Indonesia’s defence chief clarified that a recently signed letter with the United States is merely exploratory and does not obligate the country to allow US military flights over its territory.

Jakarta – In a short but pointed press conference on Tuesday, Indonesia’s defence minister, Prabowo Subianto, tried to put a dampener on swirling speculation about a new security pact with Washington. He said the "letter of intent" that was signed last month is not a treaty, nor does it bind Indonesia to let U.S. warplanes or surveillance aircraft roam freely through its airspace.

The confusion started when Indonesian officials confirmed they had exchanged a letter with the United States, outlining a desire to discuss “enhanced defence cooperation.” A handful of foreign‑policy analysts, quick to read between the lines, warned that the move could pave the way for U.S. jets to use Indonesian bases – a scenario that would dramatically reshape the security map of Southeast Asia.

Prabowo, however, was quick to pull the rug back. "The letter is a starting point for dialogue, not a final agreement," he told reporters. "We retain full sovereignty over our airspace. Any decision to grant access will be taken only after a thorough, transparent process involving Parliament and relevant ministries."

He added that Indonesia is still navigating a delicate balancing act. On the one hand, Jakarta wants to deepen ties with the United States, especially after the two countries signed a new defence cooperation framework earlier this year. On the other hand, the archipelago is wary of antagonising Beijing, which watches any extra‑U.S. military footprint in the region with obvious concern.

For context, the United States has been seeking more freedom of operation in the Indo‑Pacific, citing the need to monitor maritime traffic, counter piracy and keep an eye on Chinese naval activities. Recent requests have included permission for RC‑135 reconnaissance aircraft and P‑8 Poseidon maritime patrol planes to overfly parts of the Indonesian archipelago.

Indonesia’s stance, as clarified by Prabowo, is that any such overflights would be subject to strict conditions. "We are not saying ‘yes’ or ‘no’ now. We are saying ‘let’s discuss, let’s assess the impact on our national security and on regional stability,’" he said, his tone measured but firm.

Political observers note that the clarification comes at a moment when Jakarta is grappling with domestic pressure to protect its airspace from foreign military use. Nationalist groups have staged small protests outside the Ministry of Defence, waving flags and chanting slogans that demand “airspace sovereignty.” The minister’s comments seem aimed at calming those nerves while keeping diplomatic doors open.

In Washington, State Department officials expressed disappointment that Indonesia has not moved faster toward a concrete agreement. Yet they also welcomed the clarification, stating that “dialogue remains the cornerstone of the U.S.–Indonesia partnership.” The U.S. is reportedly preparing a more detailed proposal that would outline specific operational parameters, cost‑sharing mechanisms, and a clear legal framework.

Analysts from the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) in Jakarta warned that any future deal will have to reconcile three competing priorities: Indonesia’s non‑aligned foreign‑policy tradition, its growing defence budget, and the strategic calculus of the U.S. – especially as it seeks to counter China’s expanding presence in the South China Sea.

Meanwhile, the Indonesian parliament is expected to hold a hearing on the matter later this month. Lawmakers from the opposition have already signalled they will scrutinise any agreement for possible loopholes that could compromise Indonesia’s autonomy.

All said, Prabowo’s message was clear: the letter is a conversation starter, not a contract. Jakarta will continue to weigh the benefits of closer U.S. security ties against the need to safeguard its own airspace and maintain good neighbourly relations with China.

Comments 0
Please login to post a comment. Login
No approved comments yet.

Editorial note: Nishadil may use AI assistance for news drafting and formatting. Readers can report issues from this page, and material corrections are reviewed under our editorial standards.