AAP Slams BJP’s Ration‑Card Drive, Claims 6 Lakh Cards Will Be Cut Instead of Adding 2 Lakh
- Nishadil
- May 19, 2026
- 0 Comments
- 2 minutes read
- 6 Views
- Save
- Follow Topic
AAP accuses BJP of a misleading ration‑card plan that could erase millions of beneficiaries
The Aam Aadmi Party says the BJP’s proposal to add 2 lakh ration cards is a cover‑up; in reality, six lakh cards risk being withdrawn, jeopardising food security.
The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) has launched a sharp criticism of the Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) recent announcement on ration‑card numbers. While the BJP boasts about adding 2 lakh new cards to the public distribution system, AAP argues that the real plan is far more troubling – it could wipe out up to 6 lakh existing cards.
According to AAP leader Amit Shah (not the Union minister), the government’s numbers don’t add up. “If you really look at the data, the cancellation list is much larger than the addition list. Six lakh families could lose access to subsidised grains, while only two lakh are being added,” he said during a press briefing in Delhi.
The BJP, for its part, maintains that the move is part of a broader clean‑up of the PDS (Public Distribution System). A spokesperson told reporters that the removal of duplicate or fraudulent cards is essential for ensuring that genuine beneficiaries receive their share. “We are not cutting cards arbitrarily. We are weeding out irregularities and simultaneously bringing in new, deserving families,” the spokesperson asserted.
Behind the headlines lies a complex data‑driven debate. The state‑level food‑grain department released a provisional report last week indicating that about 5.8 lakh cards were flagged for possible duplication, while a separate allocation sheet listed 2.1 lakh new applications approved for the upcoming financial year.
Opposition parties have seized the opportunity to question the government’s transparency. “If the intention is to protect the poor, why would you plan a net loss of millions of cards? The numbers speak for themselves,” remarked AAP MLA Manish Goyal, who called for an independent audit.
Farmers’ groups and civil‑society NGOs have also voiced concerns, warning that any large‑scale deletion could trigger a spike in food‑inflation in vulnerable districts. “The poorest families rely on these cards for their daily meals. A sudden reduction would push many into hunger,” said Sunita Rao of the NGO ‘Food for All’.
In response, the BJP promised to “ensure that no genuine beneficiary is unfairly deprived.” The party has pledged a grievance redressal mechanism, allowing affected families to appeal the cancellation decisions within a 30‑day window.
As the debate continues, the central question remains: will the clean‑up exercise be balanced enough to protect the needy while curbing fraud? Both sides agree that the numbers matter, but the way they are presented, and the impact on everyday Indians, is where the real story lies.
Editorial note: Nishadil may use AI assistance for news drafting and formatting. Readers can report issues from this page, and material corrections are reviewed under our editorial standards.